My Korean friend once made me beef bulgogi spring rolls and it never left my mind how good it was. I was only familiar with shrimp spring rolls. Her late husband is Vietnamese so I guess by making this meets the best of both worlds…. Korean beef bulgogi meets Vietnamese spring rolls.
Since I like both shrimp and beef bulgogi, why not combine them both… hehehe.
Beef bulgogi usually gets marinated for a long time before cooking it but I created an easier and faster version of it.
Now wrapping the rolls is quite a challenge for me. Do not expect it to be perfect. After a couple of practice, you will be good at it.
- 1 lb. beef strips
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2- 1 Tbsp of chili garlic sauce (depends how spicy you want)
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- half of lime juice
- 2 Tbsp plum sauce
- Pour the olive oil on a hot pan then add the beef right away.
- Put the rest of the ingredients and cook it until the sauce reduces & thickens.
- Turn the heat off, put it in a bowl and set aside
- 1/2 lb of peeled & deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of pepper
- half a lime
- Boil the water then add all the ingredients
- Once the shrimp turned pink, turn the heat off, put it in a bowl, squeeze lime on it, slice in half (lengthwise) then set aside
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- chopped peanuts
- Combine all except chopped peanuts in a saucepan on a low-medium heat.
- You may add more water for much thinner consistency & keep stirring until all fully combined then turn off the heat
- Put it in a bowl then sprinkle with chopped peanuts on top
- romaine lettuce
- bean sprouts
- mint leaves
- cooked & drained thin rice noodles
- rice paper wrappers
- big bowl of hot water
- Quickly dip the rice paper wrapper in the hot water, shake off excess water then lay it flat on a plate
- Lay a piece of lettuce, some bean sprouts, a handful of rice noodles, some cilantro leaves, mint leaves & few strips of beef bulgogi on the dipped rice paper wrapper
- Roll or turn it once then add 2 -3 slices of shrimps then fully roll it all the way until it seals
- Dip it on peanut sauce and take a huge bite.
Link: Shrimp Spring Rolls