I went to try Paella at this restaurant (no I will not mention the name) and it was bland. Paella supposedly one of their signature dishes but I was truly disappointed.
So I decided to make one myself at home. Of course, home cooked meal is always the best. I watched several Youtube videos and checked out several recipes on Pinterest to get some basic ideas then made it my own.
- 4 cups of Paella rice (I got it at Whole Foods)
- 3 boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 1/2 cup of sliced chorizo
- 1/2 lb of shrimp or about a dozen of jumbo prawns, deveined
- 2 cans of baby clams, keep the juice (optional)
- 1 can of clam juice or 8 0z.
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 5 Tbsp of chicken base or better than bouillon paste (or 1 big can chicken stock)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 small-medium size onion, chopped
- 5-8 pieces of shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 small bag of small green peas
- 4 Tbsp of chopped flat leaf parsley
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp saffron
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups or so of water
- salt & pepper to taste
- sliced lemons
- On medium to high heat, oil a big flat skillet.
- Add chicken & when almost cooked, add in the chorizo.
- When chorizo is cooked, drain excess oil out
- With chicken and chorizo, add in garlic & onions then stir all together for about 2 minutes
- Add in tomatoes & tomato paste then stir until well combined with the meat
- Add chopped mushrooms
- Add in rice and keep stirring for about 2 minutes
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt & pepper
- Add thyme and parsley
- Season with smoked paprika
- Add in the chicken base
- Pour in the drained baby clam juice
- Add more clam juice then stir until all well combined
- Add in lemon zest
- Add in saffron
- Add water, a cup to cup and a half at a time and stir until rice almost tender
- Fold in green peas
- Fold in baby clams
- Layer shrimp on top and lower the heat to medium-low
- Cover for about 5-8 minutes then take the cover off and let it cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes uncovered
- Carefully scoop it on an individual plate and carefully scrape the bottom with spatula to get the crispy rice. Squeeze lemon on it.