This is my version of eggplant caponata.
I used to go to this Italian/Greek restaurant just for this dip and lately been craving for it. So I decided to make it & I am glad it turned out great. As a matter of fact, it tasted better.
Any type of bread or even crackers goes well with this dip or spread.
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mixed kalamata & green olives
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp capers
- a bunch of fresh basil ( about 6 leaves)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- food processor
- Pre-heat oven 400F degrees
- Cut the eggplants in half (lengthwise) & poke it around with fork, place it on a baking sheet & drizzle with olive oil
- Bake it in the oven for 30 minutes then add the sliced onions, the 2 cloves of garlic and bake it for another 20 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool but not cold
- Peel the skin of the warm eggplant carefully & slice it
- In the food processor, put the eggplant and the rest of the ingredients, except EVOO
- Process it all on high speed while slowly pouring the 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Put in a serving bowl and drizzle a little more EVOO on top and serve with warm Italian or sourdough bread